12/26/2010

2010: The Year of Transformations

Transformations, yes. But not so many sendouts, therefore not so many publication credits. Still, transformations are worthwhile. Here are some of the ones I've gone through this year:
  • I was transformed into a writer of opera librettos (libretti?), doing one adaptation of one of my stories, and one from-scratch libretto.

  • I was transformed into a writing teacher, giving several speculative-fiction-writing workshops for various target groups, and running an ongoing weekly workshop for academic writers. I think this counts as turning me into a teacher as well as a writer (as opposed to a writer who occasionally teaches). I'm happy about this: I love teaching. Helps me keep my own writing sharper, too.

  • I was transformed into a grad student (again). This time for a Ph.D., which (I'm finding) is quite a bit more severe a transformation than the one I underwent for my master's degree.

  • I was transformed into a fencer! Yes, I actually started fencing in 2009, but this was the year I competed in a tournament and actually won a medal (bronze, long-time followers of this blog will remember). That was another profound transformation for me!

  • This year also saw the completion of my transformation from fan to writer: I actually gave a reading and moderated a panel at WorldCon (as opposed to just attending them). I'm happy about this, too: I can give back to the community on which I depend to keep me in touch with readers, colleagues, and friends.

  • At the very eleventh hour of the year (well, not literally the eleventh hour, that's on New Year's Eve, but close enough), I was transformed into a trumpet player when my husband gave me a trumpet for Christmas! Now I just have to learn how to play it....

Enough transformations for one year? Perhaps so. What will 2011 bring?

4 Comments:

At 7:00 PM, Blogger Flinthart said...

Good year... and enjoy the trumpet, eh? Your husband is a glutton for punishment, though. It's bloody difficult to practise the trumpet quietly!

 
At 7:50 PM, Blogger Helen V. said...

That's quite a lot of changes - and they're all so positive. You might waft a bit of the positives this way. If you feel inclined. Pretty please.

And a trumpet - Awesome (the capital is deliberate.)

 
At 12:54 AM, Anonymous Mimi said...

A trumpet, eh? Seems to me it was a very very long time ago when we played clarinet in Stillwater! I am amazed at everything you have done in 1 calendar year!! Hope you had a wonderful Christmas and a grand New Year!

 
At 5:49 PM, Blogger Kelly said...

My word verification is "persest". That's close enough to this spelling-challenged commentor to think Persist! All these things you *are* come from your remarkable ability to Persist! Hats off to you, me lady!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home